7/1/08

The Healer

 
Posted by Picasa


I had the mind-altering pleasure to see this woman live this past May in Richmond, umm do I really need to tell you that she KILLED any conception of any future R&B/whatever you feel you need to classify. The point is this: there is no classification for Erykah Badu. I loved her before New Amerykah but you could say the love has grown to full blown admiration for her. In the absence of notable singer s and musicians she has continued despite the lack of appreciation for real artistry. I like many have been missing Lauryn Hill but the void felt has been carried on by Erykah. She's fire, water, spirit, soul and heartfelt all wrapped into one.

Many do not understand her conceptual, visual, and sonically genre busting outings, but for us off-beat nothing holds truer than what she offers. I'm still listening to Mama's Gun (coincidentally this era was my first Erykah concert) but New Amerykah gets just as much attention. The Healer is one of my favorites as well as Me, That Hump, but Master Teacher is my personal audio mirror(ok I’m going to copyright that shit right there). Erykah is a refined taste, either you instantly get her or you fall under her spell overtime or you just listen without insight. She's not an easy read and that's why I respect her so much.

I just wish she would sign D'Angelo, Lauryn, Maxwell and anyone else with musical divinity into her cipher. Keep marching analoguegirl and we'll ride to the end.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home