6/18/08

"I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul. ..." -Pablo Neruda -

I'm not going to front like I know the poet who wrote this inviting line(although for a faint second I know I've seen his name before). Pablo Neruda (July 12, 1904–September 23, 1973) was the pen name and, later, legal name of the Chilean writer and politician Neftalí Ricardo Reyes Basoalto.

With his works translated into manifold languages, Pablo Neruda is considered one of the greatest and most influential poets of the 20th century. Neruda was accomplished in a variety of styles ranging from erotically charged love poems like his collection Twenty Poems of Love and a Song of Despair, surrealist poems, historical epics, and overtly political manifestos. In 1971 Neruda won the Nobel Prize for Literature, a controversial award because of his political activism. Colombian novelist Gabriel García Márquez once called him "the greatest poet of the 20th century in any language".[1] Thank Wikipedia for that lol.

I'd love to tell you I made passionate love and stumbled upon this quote in the early morning hours when love is still fresh and as bright as the dawn is between the time of sleep and awakening. I'd love to tell you my lover awoke me when the dew drops from the flowers and penetrates the earth to read this and gaze into my eyes. It really doesn't matter how I found it but I'll tell you anyway. I found it in search of music as someone's tag. I thought to myself that's beautiful, haunting and disheartening all in one. I guess with any great poetry it leaves the thought open to be dissected and interpreted through your feelings and inclination. I don't find it to be completely disheartening but I get the feeling he's loving someone that he cannot love in the light, almost like an affair. The other side of this could be he guards their love like night protects intentions.

I'm not the best person to ask to interpret a poem because I will flip one sentence as you see into a paragraph and let my mind go. I've never read this man's work but now I feel compelled to do so. I've also haven't read the complete poem that hosts this singular statement of rapture. I guess that will be part 2 souls. Until the next time it will be this time. CPM

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home